Becoming a wedding planner involves more than just planning a wedding. You must understand the business aspect of your service and learn to manage your time to earn the most profits.
You will be the face of your business and your own public relations representative. Every day you will have the opportunity to build — or damage — your reputation as a businessperson.
As your business and your expertise grow, you will probably begin planning multiple weddings at once. It is essential that you strive to provide the best, personalized attention to each couple when planning their big day, without losing your sanity.
The 7 Key Skills
No one said that becoming a wedding planner was a job for the faint of heart. Not everyone can succeed as a wedding consultant. A good wedding planner is:
1. Calm. You will be the bride’s (and the groom’s!) rock. From miscommunications with vendors to major meltdowns at the ceremony, you must be able to keep your cool in the wake of a calamity. A wedding planner should always have a Plan B ready for action in case of an emergency.
2. Charming. You are the face of your business and your clients’ representative. Impeccable communication and social skills are imperative. Your reputation as a wedding consultant depends on your ability to network and maintain great working relationships with vendors and venues. Wedding planners must know how to communicate and work with all personality types. Not everyone you encounter will be pleasant and easy to please. You must be able to defuse any situation to get the results your client desires.
3. A Great Negotiator. The bride and groom will be counting on you to order flowers, hire the band and photographer, recommend a caterer, and help find venues for the ceremony and reception. You must be able to find the best service for the lowest price.
This becomes easier as you create a reputation for yourself and develop professional relationships with vendors and venues. Your connections will get you better deals, which you can pass on to your customers.
4. Good with Money. Starting a wedding planner business requires that you be able to manage your own expenses and stick to a budget, as well as be responsible for someone else’s money and budget. Previous experience with money management is vital — even if your only experience consists of controlling the household finances.
5. Organized. A wedding consultant might be responsible for almost every aspect of the big day: the venues, theme, flowers, food, refreshments, attire, photography, honeymoon, and other details of the wedding. Keeping track of all the nuances, contract dates, and deadlines requires an enormous amount of organization and attention to detail. Your calendar will be your new best friend.
6. A Plethora of Knowledge. A good wedding planner has fashion sense, good taste in music, and an eye for color, flowers, and themes. You must be able to keep up with the latest bridal trends and fads, hot honeymoon destinations, and of course, traditional wedding etiquette. Many wedding consultants also learn about different religious ceremonies and traditions so that they can accommodate couples of any faith.
7. Able to Maintain a Sense of Humor: From indecisive or emotional brides to controlling parents and absentee vendors, your work is cut out for you. When you are dealing in dreams, the ability to keep things in perspective is essential.
Beginning your own wedding planning business will be a learning experience. No one knows everything from day one, and as the old saying goes, practice makes perfect.
Looking For Wedding Planners In Barbados?
The cost of weddings in Barbados are very attractive. Some people are looking for cheap weddings in Barbados but love has no cost, it’s priceless when you meet someone you plan to spend the rest of your life with.
Some Ideas for where to get married and Barbados Wedding Venues
Sandy Lane Barbados, Turtle Beach Barbados, Hilton Barbados Hotel for weddings and photos and Sandals Barbados. Of course there are so many more great tropical wedding locations.
Barbados wedding traditions can be whatever you wish and desire, Barbados located in the Caribbean has many venues and places for a perfect wedding, come to Barbados for a vacation with your love, you might just get married! see below for professional Barbados wedding planners.
Weddings by Malissa
Weddings By Malissa was opened in May 2005. It began with the creative mind of owner and Managing Director Malissa Blackman. She wanted to create an impressive wedding firm specializing in luxury weddings where Brides from around the world can come to Barbados and have the most luxurious wedding experience in paradise.
It is very important to Malissa that her brides plan their destination wedding in a friendly environment and not have an impersonal experience planning it.
Tel: (246) 287.4629 | www.barbadosweddings.net
Affordable Weddings is one of Barbados’ primary wedding planners offering services to both local and international clients for over eight years.
Our staff are trained to ensure that every detail of your wedding is organised from start to finish. Packages are structured to include and are not limited to the officiating minister, transportation, ceremony and reception venue with private dinner, decorations, photography, catering, wedding cakes and entertainment services.
Tel: (246) 269-0563
Luxe Events & Design Studio
Planning & customizing luxurious designs to your needs and Budget. Luxe Event & Design Studio is a Luxury Event service in Barbados, we are highly train Luxury Weddings & Event planners.
We customize all our services to meet your needs. Our staff are also train in Destination Weddings & Corporate Events. Let us make your Caribbean Luxury Wedding or Even a tropical dream come through.
Tel: (246) 248.2387
Soulmates Barbados is one of the leading full service wedding coordination companies in Barbados. Supported by a highly reputable group of local service providers, we have worked with many couples to assist them with the planning of their wedding day.
Our range of wedding coordination services is designed to suit wherever you are at in the planning process. Soulmates Barbados is here to guide you in a place that may be completely unknown to you. We help you to create a day (or a weekend!) filled with life lasting memories.
From transportation and accommodation, to flowers and music, no detail is too small, no request too large.
Tel: (246) 435-3860
Whirlwind Events is a company that provides everything you need to ensure your wedding is a success. We make getting married a breeze, whether you want to elope or to have a full-sized destination wedding in Barbados, we want to be of service.
Tel: (246) 287-4629
Tropical Occasions Barbados
Our Creativity…Your Style…Lets Make it Happen! Tropical Occasions is a full service wedding planning company in Barbados; We plan, design, create and manage your tropical wedding in beautiful Barbados resplendent with romance to fun and elegance or a quirky twist.
Our experience and creative wedding coordinators will provide you with an unforgettable wedding in Barbados; limited only by your imagination. Offering bespoke or packaged wedding planning services, Tropical Occasions cater to your style and uniqueness, allowing us to personalise our services to suit each couple; whilst making it a hassle-free and enjoyable experience. We are also backed by professional suppliers who work with us so that you receive all that you desire for your wedding.
Tel: (246) 271-1365
A Jubilee Event: Caribbean
Jubilee Events: Caribbean is the sister company of Jubilee Events, the renowned event design and planning boutique based just outside of New York City. Our company focuses on destination event design and planning, with the specialty of bringing our artful style to corporate and social events in Barbados.
We are best known for our broad range of eclectic, sophisticated styles; from elegant dinners on the grounds of plantations to dramatic tented affairs. We are young, stylish, creative, artistic, and fun – and love to infuse that energy into every event we do! It is truly our affection for love stories, families, celebrations, details and our clients that creatively inspire us.
Affordable rates and great service. Make the right choice!
We are a unique event planning and management company located on the island of Barbados. We specialise in Destination Weddings and Events but we absolutely loooove all types of celebrations and we are happy to help you plan and execute them.
Event planning is our passion and we work closely with our clients and their budget to ensure that they get exactly what they want without breaking the bank!
We are so excited at the opportunity to work with you and look forward to hearing from you soon!
WIIT has been in the travel industry for over 35 years and is a well-established full-service Destination Management Company. We specialize in bespoke and unique events and believe that every Wedding should be simply Magical. We have a number of premium vendors and partners which enable us to provide you with a seamless service and make sure that everything is perfect from beginning to end.
Barefoot Weddings & Events
From simple barefoot elegance on the beach to an exclusive ceremony at a Plantation House or Private Villa, Gala Fundraiser, Christmas Parties, a private box at Kensington Oval with catering for cricket, Polo or any type of event, be it large or small.
Barefoot Weddings & Events has designed and executed events and weddings, from small family affairs to 500-guest.
We also orchestrate every element of the event with custom made invitations, linens, lighting, floral and entertainment.
The team has done weddings across the island. From the Sunbury Great House in the south to the Fairmont Royal Pavilion Hotel in the west.
Artathomp Event Rentals and Services
Artathomp Event Rentals and Services is a full tier wedding planning, design and rental company with many years experience. In Barbados there are so many options to create your perfect day. You can have your wedding on a beach, a historic garden, to caves even while sailing. After the wedding you and your guests can explore the island and see what it has to offer no matter your lifestyle and taste. We can plan and arrange all these details from the time you enter the island up until you leave.We love to have conversations with our clients.
It’s a good idea to get all the knowledge you can before you start and reduce the chances of failing, that’s why we highly recommend the following course below.
The Wedding Planner Toolkit
Learn to develop essential tools for Wedding Planners & Day of Coordinators including: Pricing, Packages and Timelines
What Will I Learn?
💡 Develop a pricing strategy for your wedding planning business
💡 Create wedding packages and pricing for your wedding planning business
💡 Craft an essential tool that will enable you to better understand your client’s vision for their wedding
💡 Understand how to manage the flow of your client’s wedding day
💡 Create a comprehensive wedding timeline
💡 Walk away with downloadable tools that you can use for your wedding planning business